The 5-year-old Alabama boy snatched from his school bus at gunpoint and stashed with his abductor in a bunker is believed to be physically safe, police said Friday, on day three of the standoff.
“There’s no reason to believe the child has been harmed,” Dale County Sheriff Wally Olson said at a news briefing late Thursday, according to the Associated Press.
Various media have reported that medicine the boy is required to take daily has been tossed into the bunker.
It’s been more than three days since the suspect — Jimmy Lee Dykes, a 65-year-old retired truck driver — entered a school bus parked, shot the driver and grabbed one of the fleeing 22 children. He’s been holed in the bunker since; hostage negotiators on the scene have been communicating with him via a 4-inch-wide ventilation pipe that goes into the bunker, the Associated Press reports.
Media also reports that Mr. Dykes show no signs of ending the standoff.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By John Solomon
How the government's punishing of the exposure of official wrongdoing can linger for years
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention