- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
South Africa’s new big-money tournament on hold
PORT ELIZABETH, SOUTH AFRICA (AP) - The South African golf tournament claiming to be among the richest anywhere outside the United States and a challenger to some of the world’s top events has been indefinitely postponed.
Organizers said Friday that the Tournament of Hope, which was to have prize money of $8.5 million, won’t take place in November as planned and has been “put on hold for the foreseeable future” after failing to secure sponsorship.
South Africa’s Sunshine Tour says that it has been “unable to fulfill the expectations of potential sponsors for various reasons beyond its control” and the weakening of the South African currency “added more pressure to the budget.”
Sunshine Tour executive director Selwyn Nathan says “it is deeply regrettable that we have had to take this decision.”
The Tournament of Hope was sanctioned by the International Federation of PGA Tours, though it did not receive World Golf Championships status. It was to be the centerpiece of a proposed worldwide AIDS awareness effort.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.