- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Texas prosecutor’s slaying sets colleagues on edge
Investigators are pouring through the files of an aggressive Texas prosecutor who was shot dead Thursday, seeking clues to the identity of the masked killer.
Colleagues of 57-year-old Mark Hasse — described as a take-no-prisoners type of prosecutor who was targeted by a shooter about 9 a.m. as he walked outside his Kaufman County office — are rattled, the Associated Press reports, despite overwhelming law enforcement response to bring to justice the shooter.
“I hope the people that did this are watching, because we’re very confident that we’re going to pull you out of whatever hole you’re in,” Kaufman County District Attorney Mike McLelland said, according to the AP. Mr. McLelland also added: “[Mark] had an absoluted passion for putting away bad guys. He enjoyed nothing better.”
Meanwhile, nearby legal offices are on edge.
Mr. Hasses’ death is disturbing on many levels, said Doug Lowe, the district attorney for neighboring Anderson County, the AP reported.
“We are a tight group of people,” he reportedly said. “This reminds us all that we deal with some very, very bad people.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.