- Elton John blasts Russia’s anti-gay laws during Moscow concert
- U.N.: Afghanistan slow to enforce law protecting women
- Heart cancels SeaWorld concert after ‘Blackfish’ documentary
- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower American flag for Nelson Mandela
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson Mandela
- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle removed from North Korean state documentary
- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
Woman who received stolen Hilton jacket sentenced
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A woman who pleaded no contest to receiving a jacket stolen from Paris Hilton received three years of supervised probation on Friday in a sentence described by a judge as lenient due to missteps by a police officer.
Courtney Leigh Ames is one of a group of young adults accused of burglarizing celebrities’ homes and stealing more than $3 million in jewelry, high-end fashion and other luxury goods. All the cases have been resolved with plea deals, with several members of the group dubbed the “Bling Ring” receiving no jail or prison time
Goodkin collaborated with filmmaker Sofia Coppola on a movie about the burglaries, including filming a scene in which he handcuffed Emma Watson, but didn’t properly notify prosecutors about his paid role. Fidler has previously called the officer’s actions “stupid.”
“I already have,” she replied.
Prosecutors dropped burglary and other felony charges against Ames in exchange for her plea, which also requires her to do 60 days of community service.
The person accused of being the Bling Ring mastermind, Nicholas Prugo, is scheduled to be sentenced on March. 1. He has been jailed since April 2012 on another case.
Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Sen. Rand Paul pushes 'economic freedom zones' for Detroit
- Redskins' season hits bottom with Chiefs blowout
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- FENNO: Mike Shanahan's empty words no salve to free-falling Redskins
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- Sen. Rand Paul: 'I am seriously thinking about' running for president in 2016
- Legalizing illegal immigrants is the solution to Obamacare: Democrat
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
Film Reviews and Articles by Kevin Williams
"Critical thinking is thinking about your thinking while you're thinking in order to make your thinking better." - Dr. Richard Paul
Go beyond tourism's "top 10" bus tour destinations with Susan McKee as she explores the varied history, culture, food, and gardens, of the world.
Let it snow
White House pets gone wild!