- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Woman who received stolen Hilton jacket sentenced
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A woman who pleaded no contest to receiving a jacket stolen from Paris Hilton received three years of supervised probation on Friday in a sentence described by a judge as lenient due to missteps by a police officer.
Courtney Leigh Ames is one of a group of young adults accused of burglarizing celebrities’ homes and stealing more than $3 million in jewelry, high-end fashion and other luxury goods. All the cases have been resolved with plea deals, with several members of the group dubbed the “Bling Ring” receiving no jail or prison time
Hilton, Orlando Bloom, Lindsay Lohan and several other celebrities’ homes were burglarized between December 2008 and October 2009.
Goodkin collaborated with filmmaker Sofia Coppola on a movie about the burglaries, including filming a scene in which he handcuffed Emma Watson, but didn’t properly notify prosecutors about his paid role. Fidler has previously called the officer’s actions “stupid.”
“I already have,” she replied.
Prosecutors dropped burglary and other felony charges against Ames in exchange for her plea, which also requires her to do 60 days of community service.
The person accused of being the Bling Ring mastermind, Nicholas Prugo, is scheduled to be sentenced on March. 1. He has been jailed since April 2012 on another case.
Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world