- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
Isabelle Huppert: French actress takes on role of mother superior in ‘The Nun’
BERLIN (AP) — A new adaptation of writer Denis Diderot’s 18th-century novel “The Nun” is making its debut at the Berlin International Film Festival, featuring French star Isabelle Huppert as a convent’s mother superior.
The movie, directed by Guillaume Nicloux, is one of 19 competing for the Berlin festival’s top Golden Bear honor.
The story centers on a young woman, played by Belgian actress Pauline Etienne, forced by her family to enter a convent, where she suffers harassment.
Miss Huppert’s long list of credits includes “The Piano Player” and “Madame Bovary.”
She said ahead of the new film’s premiere Sunday that her latest role offered the challenge of avoiding caricature.
“It was very easy to go behind the caricature,” she said. “She’s a superior mother, but she has nothing superior.”
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again