- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Isabelle Huppert: French actress takes on role of mother superior in ‘The Nun’
BERLIN (AP) — A new adaptation of writer Denis Diderot’s 18th-century novel “The Nun” is making its debut at the Berlin International Film Festival, featuring French star Isabelle Huppert as a convent’s mother superior.
The movie, directed by Guillaume Nicloux, is one of 19 competing for the Berlin festival’s top Golden Bear honor.
The story centers on a young woman, played by Belgian actress Pauline Etienne, forced by her family to enter a convent, where she suffers harassment.
Miss Huppert’s long list of credits includes “The Piano Player” and “Madame Bovary.”
She said ahead of the new film’s premiere Sunday that her latest role offered the challenge of avoiding caricature.
“It was very easy to go behind the caricature,” she said. “She’s a superior mother, but she has nothing superior.”
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Six Senate seats could hinge on Keystone pipeline
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- CURL: The modern GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again