- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
Dinosaurs, signs prompts move for Australian PGA
COOLUM, AUSTRALIA (AP) - The PGA of Australia will move the venue of its PGA Championship, which was overshadowed last year by the billionaire resort owner’s decision to position a giant robotic dinosaur outside the clubhouse and post unusual signage around the course.
PGA of Australia chief executive Brian Thorburn announced Monday that the tournament would be moved away from the Sunshine Coast region where it has been staged since 2000. The venue for the 2013 tournament has not been disclosed.
Thorburn said a “lack of flexibility of dates … and signage matters” prompted golf’s national governing body to seek alternatives to the resort owned by mining magnate Clive Palmer.
The contract with the resort had been in jeopardy since the 26-foot mechanical T-Rex nicknamed “Jeff” _ placed between the ninth green and 10th tee _ generated international headlines and plenty of jokes. Palmer agreed to turn off the movement sensors on the dinosaur so it didn’t flip its tail or open its mouth for a menacing roar during the tournament.
He also put up more than 60 signs around the golf course to promote his business interests, which include his plan to build a replica of the Titanic. Some of those signs were in the landing areas on the fairways and forced organizers of the championship, which dates to 1905, to mark those areas “ground under repair” during the tournament.
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.