- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Dinosaurs, signs prompts move for Australian PGA
Question of the Day
COOLUM, AUSTRALIA (AP) - The PGA of Australia will move the venue of its PGA Championship, which was overshadowed last year by the billionaire resort owner’s decision to position a giant robotic dinosaur outside the clubhouse and post unusual signage around the course.
PGA of Australia chief executive Brian Thorburn announced Monday that the tournament would be moved away from the Sunshine Coast region where it has been staged since 2000. The venue for the 2013 tournament has not been disclosed.
Thorburn said a “lack of flexibility of dates … and signage matters” prompted golf’s national governing body to seek alternatives to the resort owned by mining magnate Clive Palmer.
The contract with the resort had been in jeopardy since the 26-foot mechanical T-Rex nicknamed “Jeff” _ placed between the ninth green and 10th tee _ generated international headlines and plenty of jokes. Palmer agreed to turn off the movement sensors on the dinosaur so it didn’t flip its tail or open its mouth for a menacing roar during the tournament.
He also put up more than 60 signs around the golf course to promote his business interests, which include his plan to build a replica of the Titanic. Some of those signs were in the landing areas on the fairways and forced organizers of the championship, which dates to 1905, to mark those areas “ground under repair” during the tournament.
By Scott Pinsker
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Computer glitch caused odd Saturday release of D.C. guns ruling
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq