- Arkansas voter ID law struck down by state judge
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
- Bad omen? Italian man crushed to death by John Paul II crucifix
- Company stopped from accepting abortion waste
- Girl surprises Michelle Obama with unemployed dad’s resume
- ‘Harry Potter’ religion class seeks to enlighten students on ‘God, sin, and theodicy’
- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
Israel approves 90 new homes in contested West Bank area
Israel gave the final go-ahead on Monday for construction of 90 new homes in contested and occupied areas of the West Bank — a move sure to ratchet up emotions in the White House, which has pleaded for a peaceful resolution in the settlement dispute.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has stated publicly on several occasions that 300 homes will be built in Beit El, over the objections of Palestinians who see the construction as an infringement on their territory and an international community that’s already concerned with the hotbed in the Middle East. Israel has claimed ownership of the land since 1967.
The new homes will provide for educational officials, said one Defense Ministry official, in a Reuters report. Reuters reports more than325,000 settlers living now in the West Bank and another 200,000 living in East Jerusalem.
The approval for the 90 homes comes at a time when President Obama will be making his first trip to Israel.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- good to go test
- another test dont post this please
- Russia poised to ban curse words in movies, concerts
- USF decrees: No onstage selfies during graduation ceremonies
- test do not post
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Only IRS employees could expect rewards for failing to pay their taxes
- Holder cancels appearance in OKC amid angry protests
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher's racial remarks cost him range of support
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014