- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The ‘sissification’ of football
Thank you for “Football after Beyonce” (Commentary, Friday) by R. Emmett Tyrrell Jr., who is making clear to us all that the new trend to make football less dangerous is a marker of “the feminization of America.”
My deeper worry is that the project might create a demand of another trillion-dollar “stimulus” like Obamacare. Indeed, I expect that it would be easy to find fertile minds bent on spending grotesque amounts of money on new equipment, research, etc. In reality, the escalation of violence on the football field is similar to the escalation on the battlefield between protective devices and offensive weapons. The more defensive protections are perfected, the more destructive offensive devices have to become in order to keep up. There is no end in sight and no closing of the money spigot.
As with Obamacare and the desire to provide insurance to the population, there is a solution to football’s violence problem, that is more effective, cheaper, smarter and more democratic. It consists of simplifying the game, turning it back to its British roots of rugby, and changing the rules: Only the player with the ball may be targeted. Rugby players are no sissies, and they are not all covered with padding or helmets that are formidable weapons in themselves.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'