- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bennett’s abysmal grasp of history
Question of the Day
Last week, singer Tony Bennett told Congress the violence in the United States was like that in Germany prior to World War II, when “the Nazis came over, created tragic things and they had to be told off” (“Tony Bennett: Without gun control, U.S. may become 1940s Germany,” Web, Wednesday). Mr. Bennett’s singing talent notwithstanding, his understanding of history is ridiculous.
The Nazis did not “come over” to Germany, they were Germans. And the “telling off” has another name: World War II. Mr. Bennett is so abysmally ignorant of history that he is unaware the violence in pre-Hitler Germany was caused by the Nazis themselves, done to deliberately create fear they then used to gain a plurality in the parliament on a pledge to stop the violence. That led to the naming of one Adolf Hitler as chancellor and, sure enough, the violence stopped — except for the violence and killing carried out by the Nazi government itself.
The Holocaust was not carried out by a few disturbed people, but by the police and security forces of the German government. Perhaps gun control advocates might be better off not to remind the American people that those in power and those seeking power are perfectly capable of creating an atmosphere of violence and fear so they can claim that only their policies will stop the killing.
JAMES E. KEENAN
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
Get Breaking Alerts
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops