- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
HURT: Five reasons Dr. Ben Carson, who’s already upstaged President Obama, should run for president
Here are five reasons why Dr. Ben Carson, the famed Baltimore pediatric neurosurgeon and American patriot, should run for president.
1. He has a real job. Dr. Carson is no street volunteer or professor cloistered in an ivory tower. He has dedicated his life to medicine and has saved the lives of countless children plagued by unimaginable maladies. And as a practicing doctor, he understands the marketplace and how unchecked government interference can bring about catastrophic, if unintended, consequences.
2. He lives the American Dream. Growing up in dire poverty in Detroit as the son of a single mother, Dr. Carson eventually learned that his only hope for escaping the poverty he so loathed was through education. He learned this, of course, from his mother, who cut down on television and impressed upon him the importance of reading, going to school and learning skills.
3. After becoming immensely successful as a neurosurgeon, Dr. Carson turned his life to charity. But unlike those who believe the government is the answer to every problem, Dr. Carson chose to use his own money to fund scholarships for disadvantaged children. The program, called Carson Scholars Fund, has become so successful that others now freely give of their own money to a good cause that has proven itself.
4. Dr. Carson is not a lawyer. Speaking at the National Prayer Breakfast last week where hundreds of politicians who are lawyers gathered to pray on camera, Dr. Carson explained why lawyers are so ill-suited for governance. “What do lawyers learn in law school? To win.” He said. “What we need to start thinking about is how do we solve problems.”
5. He is not afraid to speak his mind. During his speech to a roomful of politicians, Dr. Carson talked about the scourge of political correctness in these seriously sobering times when honest, open and educated conversation is so vital. He told a story to highlight how people have grown so sensitive that you can hardly say anything any more. “I was talking to a group about the difference between a human brain and a dog’s brain and a man got offended,” Dr. Carson recalled. “He said you can’t talk about dogs like that.”
Just as during most of Dr. Carson’s speech, the audience ignited with laughter and jubilant applause. Lawyers laughed at lawyer jokes, politicians applauded the pokes at them and even the politically correct saw the point he made. That is because Dr. Carson’s entire address was weighted down by a lifetime spent learning history yet imbued with sincere humility and a charitable intent.
Even first lady Michelle Obama, whose politics could not be more divergent, could not help but laugh generously and applaud boisterously, especially when he spoke about politicians’ fear of speaking their minds.
Seated beside her, between herself and the podium where Dr. Carson spoke, was her husband. He chuckled once or twice but primarily sat there stone-faced, like he was sucking on a lemon. It was as if Dr. Carson were speaking in Latin.
• Charles Hurt can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Author
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- HURT: The Rev. Al Sharpton: Once just a race hustler, now a snitching race hustler
- HURT: Baseball gives way to whine-ball
- HURT: Do liberals understand anything about operating a business?
- HURT: $75K a day over a pond: Your corrupt EPA thugs at work
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.