- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Key dates in history of National Broadcasting Co.
Question of the Day
Comcast Corp.’s deal to buy the rest of NBCUniversal would end General Electric Co.’s long ties with the broadcast network. Comcast now owns 51 percent, and GE the remaining 49 percent. Comcast expects to get full ownership by the end of March.
Here’s a look at some key events in NBC’s history:
1926 _ National Broadcasting Co. formed by General Electric Co., Westinghouse Electric Co. and Radio Corporation of America after buying broadcast assets from AT&T. Launches first permanent radio network in United States.
1931 _ Experimental TV broadcasts begin from atop Empire State Building.
1939 _ NBC begins regular television broadcasts in New York, with opening of World’s Fair.
1941 _ NBC and CBS stations in New York get nation’s first commercial television licenses.
1943 _ ABC gets its start after NBC sells one of its two radio networks under pressure from government.
1947 _ “Meet the Press” premieres.
1948 _ Comic Milton Berle becomes first television star on “Texaco Star Theater”
1948 _ Television ownership reaches 1 million.
1950 _ Trademark granted for three-note NBC chimes.
1952 _ Launch of “Today,” first network early-morning news show.
1954 _ NBC makes first coast-to-coast color broadcast. “The Tonight Show” debuts with Steve Allen.
1962 _ Johnny Carson becomes “Tonight” host.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Inside China: Massive flight woes and a missile test
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq