- House passes VA reform compromise
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Kill the death penalty
Question of the Day
I am grateful that Wesley Pruden featured my story in his thought-provoking piece, “The death penalty is not what it used to be” (Page A4, Friday). Indeed, the death penalty is coming to an end, and its death rattle can be heard around the world like a crack of lightning.
However, if I were on that shipwrecked boat, woke up from being stranded and saw the gallows, I would surely gather myself up in a hurry, run to the wreckage, grab hold of a piece of it and paddle my way back out to sea. This sentiment is undoubtedly shared by many of my fellow exonerees and current members of our organization, Witness to Innocence, who have witnessed firsthand the cruelty, imprecision and tragedy of our criminal justice system.
Since 1976, 142 death row exonerees have been released from our modern-day gallows. I am a witness to innocence and so are 141 others whose lives were almost mistakenly cut short. The death penalty has no place in our society today. It is an expensive and broken system, and because of what my brothers and sisters and I have each experienced, the death penalty itself deserves the last death sentence our government hands out.
This is not a right-wing or left-wing issue. It is a right or wrong issue, an issue of innocence. Thank you, Mr. Pruden. I’m glad you are a witness to innocence as well.
Witness to Innocence
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- MSNBC's Ronan Farrow questions lack of racial diversity in emoji characters
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama vows veto of House border bill
- ISTOOK: Get ready for super-priced burgers due to NLRB decree