- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Netflix, DreamWorks to make original kids series
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Netflix is buffing up its credentials as a popular way for parents to keep their kids entertained.
The subscription video provider said Tuesday that it will team up with DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. to create its first original cartoon series for kids.
The series will be based on DreamWorks’ upcoming movie, “Turbo,” which is about a snail who gets the power of super speed after getting in a freak accident.
The film, starring Ryan Reynolds, Paul Giamatti, Michael Pena and others, opens in theaters July 19. The series will be called “Turbo: F.A.S.T. (Fast Action Stunt Team)” and debut exclusively in December on Netflix.
Netflix has been adding original programming to its roster of movies, and debuted the original series “House of Cards” on Feb. 1.
It has also increased its focus on children’s programming in a move seen as taking a different tack than traditional premium pay TV channels such as HBO, Starz and Showtime, whose original shows are tailored more to adults.
In December Netflix announced it will offer Disney movies, starting with films released in 2016. It declined to make a similar deal for the rights to Sony movies starting in 2016, which was kept by Starz in a deal announced Monday.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.