- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Quotes about match-fixing in soccer
Soccer, or football as it is known in most of the world, is being plagued by match-fixing linked to emboldened criminal gangs or corrupt officials. Here are some comments on the global problem:
“Football is in a disastrous state. … Fixing of matches for criminal gambling fraud purposes is absolutely endemic worldwide … arrogantly happening daily” _ Chris Eaton, director of sport integrity at the International Centre for Sport Security.
“It sounds like a fairy tale or a novel. It’s absolute craziness, something unbelievable _ but it’s all true” _ Italian prosecutor Roberto Di Martino on a case in which an Italian goalkeeper under pressure to rig a game drugged five of his teammates so they would play badly.
“Twenty years of hard work I destroyed in just one month” _ Mario Cizmek, a Croatian player convicted of match-fixing.
“For my cooperation, he offered me 200,000 euros ($261,500). … I said no because my immediate thoughts were of my wife, son and daughter. How could I look them in the eye if I said yes? What kind of husband and father would I be?” _ Former Italian player Simone Farina, who is now a FIFA ambassador for fair play.
“The widespread belief in Turkey is that at some time or another, each and every team has attempted to fix games” _ Turkish sports commentator Bagis Erten.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.