- Ukraine will compete in Sochi Paralympics despite Crimea conflict
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
Republicans to Obama: Schmooze more, and you might get your way
Republicans are sending a message to President Obama in the final hours before he’s expected to lay out an ambitious policy plan in his State of the Union address: Schmooze more, and White House policies might pass congressional muster more easily.
“I think it would make a difference from this standpoint: It is easier to understand where someone is coming from when you have a relationship with him,” said Rep. Trey Gowdy, South Carolina Republican, in a CNN report. “It’s harder to demagogue people” if you have a personal relationship.
Two other House Republicans agree: Reps. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois and Kristi L. Noem of South Dakota, according to CNN. All three said they would like to find an issue of common ground with Mr. Obama. But the holdup has been Mr. Obama, they reportedly said.
“We have a representative from the White House that is supposed to come meet with my office a lot, a staff member,” Mr. Kinzinger said. “Haven’t heard from him in probably — actually, since the day I got sworn in, two years ago.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Russia accused of sinking own cruiser to block Ukrainian navy
- Pope Francis: I snatched a cross from my confessor's corpse
- Suspected serial killer may be loose near Washington, D.C.
- Calif. shop facing angry fire pulls 'smart gun' from shelves
- Napoleon's death-bed hair, shirt to hit the auction block
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- Golden Hammer: Feds spend millions to train executives train in luxury
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again