- Australia court strikes down 5-day-old, gay-marriage law
- Fake interpreter at Mandela service: ‘Sorry,’ I have schizophrenia
- George Zimmerman will not be charged in domestic dispute
- Russian officials press bilateral U.S. trade deal
- Creator of ‘Selfies at Funerals’ blog retires after Obama flub: ‘Our work here is done’
- New Obama adviser Podesta is against Keystone but will steer clear of pipeline deliberations
- 40 Australian adults, children found in ‘one of the worst accounts of incest ever made public’
- Venezuela’s Maduro calls on student ‘price vigilantes’ to hit the streets, report businesses
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Bow before Valkyrie, NASA’s ‘superhero robot’ entry in DARPA challenge
Woman tossed out of Obama’s State of the Union speech for shouting support for gun control
Question of the Day
A woman was tossed out of the public viewing galleries at Tuesday’s State of the Union after shouting out in support of President Obama’s demand for Congress to vote on gun control.
Mr. Obama, pointing to the parents of Hadiya Pendleton, a 15-year-old girl who was killed at a park near the president’s home in Chicago last month, said “they deserve a vote” on his gun-control plans.
While lawmakers regularly applaud, cheer or jeer the president during these addresses, those in the public galleries are not supposed to react.
A security officer came to the woman and made her leave. It was not clear who the woman was or which member of Congress invited her.
A number of lawmakers gave tickets this year to gun-control supporters and victims of gun crimes, raising the temperature of the debate on guns after December’s shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
Rep. Steve Stockman, a Republican gun-rights supporter, countered by inviting National Rifle Association board member Ted Nugent.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Federal deficit shrinks 20 percent in fiscal 2014
- Wind farms: Interior Department sacrifices eagle protection for alternative energy
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Bipartisan House votes against 'patent trolls' who file lawsuits against innovators
- Bipartisan House votes to stop patent 'trolls'
Latest Blog Entries
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Obama's antics at Nelson Mandela tribute: Jovial conversation, handshake with Raul Castro
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whisky: U.K.-born expert
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Study IDs reasons for late-term abortions
- Inside the Ring: China targets Global Hawk drone
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow