- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
Key dates in history of National Broadcasting Co.
Question of the Day
Comcast Corp.’s deal to buy the rest of NBCUniversal would end General Electric Co.’s long ties with the broadcast network. Comcast now owns 51 percent, and GE the remaining 49 percent. Comcast expects to get full ownership by the end of March.
Here’s a look at some key events in NBC’s history:
1926 _ National Broadcasting Co. formed by General Electric Co., Westinghouse Electric Co. and Radio Corporation of America after buying broadcast assets from AT&T. Launches first permanent radio network in United States.
1931 _ Experimental TV broadcasts begin from atop Empire State Building.
1932 _ RCA becomes sole owner of NBC.
1939 _ NBC begins regular television broadcasts in New York, with opening of World’s Fair.
1941 _ NBC and CBS stations in New York get nation’s first commercial television licenses.
1943 _ ABC gets its start after NBC sells one of its two radio networks under pressure from government.
1947 _ “Meet the Press” premieres.
1948 _ Comic Milton Berle becomes first television star on “Texaco Star Theater”
1948 _ Television ownership reaches 1 million.
1950 _ Trademark granted for three-note NBC chimes.
1952 _ Launch of “Today,” first network early-morning news show.
1954 _ NBC makes first coast-to-coast color broadcast. “The Tonight Show” debuts with Steve Allen.
1962 _ Johnny Carson becomes “Tonight” host.
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Federal deficit shrinks 20 percent in fiscal 2014
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Chris Matthews: GOP less patriotic than South African white apartheid leaders
- Sen. Rand Paul pushes 'Economic Freedom Zones' for Detroit
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
History doesn't have to be grim; there is a lot to be learned from the pages of time.
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
White House pets gone wild!