- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Key dates in history of National Broadcasting Co.
Comcast Corp.’s deal to buy the rest of NBCUniversal would end General Electric Co.’s long ties with the broadcast network. Comcast now owns 51 percent, and GE the remaining 49 percent. Comcast expects to get full ownership by the end of March.
Here’s a look at some key events in NBC’s history:
1926 _ National Broadcasting Co. formed by General Electric Co., Westinghouse Electric Co. and Radio Corporation of America after buying broadcast assets from AT&T. Launches first permanent radio network in United States.
1931 _ Experimental TV broadcasts begin from atop Empire State Building.
1939 _ NBC begins regular television broadcasts in New York, with opening of World’s Fair.
1941 _ NBC and CBS stations in New York get nation’s first commercial television licenses.
1943 _ ABC gets its start after NBC sells one of its two radio networks under pressure from government.
1947 _ “Meet the Press” premieres.
1948 _ Comic Milton Berle becomes first television star on “Texaco Star Theater”
1948 _ Television ownership reaches 1 million.
1950 _ Trademark granted for three-note NBC chimes.
1952 _ Launch of “Today,” first network early-morning news show.
1954 _ NBC makes first coast-to-coast color broadcast. “The Tonight Show” debuts with Steve Allen.
1962 _ Johnny Carson becomes “Tonight” host.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.