- Unemployment, job creation top biggest problems in America: poll
- Twitter crashes for second time in nine days
- Charles Manson associate Bruce Davis granted parole
- Israeli warplanes pound 29 Palestinian sites in Gaza: ‘Direct hits’ confirmed
- Eric Holder to give thumbs-up to drop jail time for drug offenders
- N.J. Gov. Chris Christie faces fire for Superstorm Sandy dollars: ‘Where’s the governor?’
- Pope Francis shakes Vatican Bank with ‘earthquake’ reforms
- White House: Obamacare didn’t matter in Florida special election
- Last laugh: Marine vet fires off jokes from the grave with own obituary
- Gas blast destroys 2 N.Y. buildings; 6 people dead
Key dates in the history of Comcast Corp.
2008 _ Comcast and other companies invest in wireless broadband provider Clearwire Corp.
2009 _ Comcast continues to attract DSL subscribers from phone companies to become the nation’s largest Internet service provider. It also becomes the third-largest phone company. GE agrees to sell controlling stake in NBCUniversal to Comcast.
2011 _ Comcast completes deal for NBCUniversal after the government approves it, with conditions intended to prevent it from keeping NBC programming to itself at the detriment of other cable operators and video websites. Comcast pays $6.2 billion in cash and contributes its pay TV networks such as E! and The Golf Channel worth $7.25 billion.
2012 _ NBCUniversal sells some wireless spectrum and its stake in A&E Television Networks to Disney and Hearst, giving it enough cash to speed up its acquisition of the rest of NBCUniversal. In December, Comcast appends NBC’s peacock logo on top of its corporate name in a new logo of its own. Comcast ends the year with 22 million subscribers.
SOURCES: Comcast Corp., AP research
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- Ukrainian PM accuses Putin of wanting war
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- New Benghazi investigation published on the 18-month anniversary of the attack
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- Military families would take a $5,000 hit in benefits with Obama budget
- Special ops forces wearing thin from high demand
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again