- Arkansas voter ID law struck down by state judge
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
- Bad omen? Italian man crushed to death by John Paul II crucifix
- Company stopped from accepting abortion waste
- Girl surprises Michelle Obama with unemployed dad’s resume
- ‘Harry Potter’ religion class seeks to enlighten students on ‘God, sin, and theodicy’
- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
Man struck by Metro train at Gallery Place
A man was struck by a train and killed at the Gallery Place Metro rail station Wednesday, causing hours of delays for morning commuters.
Metro officials said at about 8 a.m. a man intentionally put himself in the way of a northbound train. Emergency crews arrived on scene, and train were single tracked between Mount Vernon Square and the Archives train stations until 11 a.m.
The Gallery Place-Chinatown station, located at the Verizon Center, is one of the busiest stops in the transportation system, moving more than 25,000 riders a week. The station is a transfer point for the Red, Yellow, and Green lines, and its central downtown location makes it a popular stop for tourists.
Officials said riders should expect residual delays, and suggested that Yellow Line riders in Virginia should try the Blue Line to avoid a wait.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Science and the City: Mix of entertainment, education at D.C. festival
- Higher Ground: Humanists in the foxholes
- Chris Brown's assault trial delayed by D.C. judge
- In the company of a saint: Catholic Church will canonize Pope John Paul and Pope John XXIII
- Chris Brown assault trial delayed again
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Holder cancels appearance in OKC amid angry protests
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Nevada rancher's racial remarks cost him range of support
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014