- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
- New bill would make sure women in military can get free birth control
- Trafficking bust reveals worries over missing kids; minors as young as 11 found
- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
Obama vows to talk trans-Atlantic trade treaty with EU
Question of the Day
President Obama has answered pressures from Europe with a promise to begin talks on free trade with the European Union.
This could be the world's largest free-trade zone; last year's trade levels among the two regions tapped $646 billion in 2012, according to an Agence France-Presse report.
"We will launch talks on a comprehensive Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership with the European Union, because trade that is free and fair across the Atlantic supports millions of good-paying American jobs," Mr. Obama said during his State of the Union address Tuesday, AFP reports.
Europe has been pushing the United States to talk free trade for years. The latest push came earlier this month, when German Chancellor Angela Merkel, in a meeting with Vice President Joseph R. Biden, asked for a speedy consideration of a pact, AFP said. EU Trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht was just in Washington last week to push the notion, too, AFP reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- National laboratory cancels 'Southern Accent Reduction' classes after outcry
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world