- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Bomb, shooting in Egypt kills 2 police officers
- Tenn. woman receives two-year sentence for stealing $364K meant for homeless veterans
Report: Bidder eyes buying Time Warner magazines
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A “serious buyer” is talking with Time Warner to buy several magazines from it, including People, InStyle and Real Simple, according to a Fortune magazine report.
Wednesday’s report cited unnamed people familiar with the matter and comes two weeks after the magazine unit, Time Inc., said it’s cutting 6 percent of its global staff of 8,000, or about 500 people.
Companies sometimes lay off workers before selling assets to make them more profitable and attractive to buyers.
Fortune is also owned by Time Inc. and says it might not be part of a sale.
The magazine said the talks are early and may fall apart. It said one of the advisers involved was Chicago merchant bank BDT Capital Partners, which is run by former Goldman Sachs executive Byron Trott.
A Time Warner spokesman declined comment. A message left at BDT Capital was not immediately returned.
“There’s tremendous resilience in the national magazine publishing business, but advertising demand is secularly not so strong. It’s down a bit,” Bewkes said. “The question of whether we ought to put that into a different frame is one we’ve been asking.”
He added that Time Warner officials “at this point have not decided to do something like that. But we will keep investigating that.”
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Justice Dept.'s new clemency guidelines: Crack offenders most obvious candidates
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- EDITORIAL: Voting with one's feet shows folly of liberal economic policies
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014