- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
Report: Meredith eyes buying Time Warner magazines
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Meredith Corp., the publisher of magazines such as Better Homes and Gardens and Fitness, is talking with Time Warner about buying several magazines from it, including People, InStyle and Real Simple, according to a Fortune magazine report.
Wednesday’s report cited unnamed people familiar with the matter and comes two weeks after the magazine unit, Time Inc., said it’s cutting 6 percent of its global staff of 8,000, or about 500 people.
Companies sometimes lay off workers before selling assets to make them more profitable and attractive to buyers.
Fortune is also owned by Time Inc. and says it might not be part of a sale.
“There’s tremendous resilience in the national magazine publishing business, but advertising demand is secularly not so strong. It’s down a bit,” Bewkes said. “The question of whether we ought to put that into a different frame is one we’ve been asking.”
He added that Time Warner officials “at this point have not decided to do something like that. But we will keep investigating that.”
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Xbox One, Playstation 4 games penalize users for cursing in their own homes
- Allen West warns Obamas backdoor gun control is moving forward
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Susan Rice slams Russia, China on human rights
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- Inside the Ring: China targeting U.S. spy flights
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- Obama: Growing income inequality 'defining challenge' of this generation
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
A stat-head’s outlook, direct from his worn in couch cushion.
Playing Through covers the world of PGA golf, as well as tips your the average golfer to play better.