- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
SMITH: State of the Union lays out un-American agenda
Obama waging a war on liberty
Conservatism is fundamentally and unyieldingly at war with poverty and disorder. At its core, conservatism seeks not just to alleviate these social problems, but to wage an aggressive war against them. President Obama, in his State of the Union address, has instead declared a war on liberty, the foundation of our economic future and civil society.
The president had the audacity to call for free market solutions to so-called climate change in one breath, and with his next called for greater government subsidies. He talked about building ladders for the disadvantaged to climb up to the middle class and beyond, but his policies trap children in failing urban schools, bury individuals in tens of thousands of regulations, and allow increases to the payroll tax on nearly every American. Instead of addressing the Republican plan to save Medicare, the president put politics first and stands idly by while millions face the threat of losing their safety net.
As Sen. Marco Rubio stated in his response: “More government isn’t going to help you get ahead. It will hold you back.” One need only look to failing schools, the near bankrupt Post Office or the local DMV to verify the veracity of this statement. More to the point, let us not forget that the housing crisis, which helped lead us into our current financial crisis, was a result of government regulation and dangerous, if not good-hearted, public policies.
Conservatism stands for the principles of individual liberty, the rule of law and freedom. It is best described as the fight for ordered liberty. These two pillars of free society – liberty and order – are inextricably intertwined.
Progressive ideology has successfully created a myth that Republicans are only in favor of the super wealthy, and are against everyone else. Professor Patrick Garry suggests that this myth, entrenched since the 1930s, has made Republicans fearful of even attempting to openly challenging it.
Enough is enough.
Nothing has done more to fight the evil of abject poverty and lift people out of its deadly grip than free market capitalism and the rule of law. Moreover, progressive and liberal policies do more to entrench the poor in failing schools and crime-ridden neighborhoods, and leave millions dependent on the “benevolence” of the federal government.
Conservatism, then, is the advancement of principles that reject injustice, protect the oppressed and eliminate the causes of poverty. The conservative position embraces the truth that it is not the state that accomplishes this goal; rather, it is the free nature of society, the flourishing of religious and philosophical ideas, the advancement and protection of families and the advancement of civil society.
Conservatives ought to start making the moral case for free enterprise, religious freedom and fiscal conservatism. To do any less only risks greater harm to those who are already suffering under the current administration’s policies.
Simply put, conservatives put faith in you, your family, your friends and your community to know what’s best for your future, rather than a government policy. Conservatism believes that the must inhumane response to human suffering is to relegate your neighbor to a faceless government agency.
Conservatism, at its core, is engaged in a great battle against poverty, disorder and the resulting damages. Mr. Obama has instead taken aim at the foundations of our free society. The president’s progressive second term agenda threatens economic, religious and individual liberty, thus victimizing those he claims to protect.
Brandon James Smith, 27, is a lawyer living and working in Washington, DC.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: 'It's scary'
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend