- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Soccer match-fixers spoke in elaborate codes
At trials in Croatia and Turkey, police wiretaps revealed that those trying to fix soccer matches used elaborate codes to disguise what they were talking about. In Croatia, the code was based on food, women and cars; in Turkey, it was based on farming and construction terms.
FOUR-WHEELED DRIVE _ A fixed game that was rock-solid, its outcome assured.
GIRLS _ A reference to police: “We have two girls on our tail.”
KEYS _ Upfront bribes for players: “They won’t sell the car without the keys.”
KULEN _ A kind of local pork sausage that referred to a package of (EURO)1,000 (about $1,275) in payoff money.
MERCEDES _ Games still in the process of being fixed: “The Mercedes is in the shop.”
PASSAT _ A fixed game: “The Passat is ready to be picked up.”
PAPRIKA _ Pre-game bribes.
BUILDINGS UNDER CONSTRUCTION _ Games in the process of being fixed.
CROPS BEING WATERED _ Match-fixing payments to players or referees.
GOATS IN THE FIELD _ Soccer players.
PLOWING, PLANTING and SOWING _ Efforts by club officials to fix games.
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.