- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
USC fires baseball coach for NCAA violations
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Southern California has fired baseball coach Frank Cruz for violating NCAA rules regarding limits on practice time and organized team activities.
Trojans athletic director Pat Haden announced Wednesday that Cruz has been dismissed and that the school has self-imposed a reduction in the number of practice hours for the baseball team this season and next.
“Adhering to all NCAA rules is paramount for each one of our coaches, student-athletes and staff members,” Haden said. “Those who knowingly break NCAA rules are subject to termination.”
USC has alerted the NCAA and Pac-12 of the infraction and the university-imposed actions.
Cruz was 48-63 in two seasons with the Trojans.
Associate head coach Dan Hubbs, a former Trojans pitcher in his second season as a coach with USC, has been promoted to head coach.
“I’m confident that Dan Hubbs and his staff will lead our team to a successful season,” Haden said. “Dan is a good coach, he is highly-regarded in the baseball community and he has strong Trojan roots.”
Last Thursday), USC announced it had suspended Cruz from all coaching duties pending an investigation by Vice President for Athletic Compliance Dave Roberts and his staff to determine whether the baseball program exceeded the allowed Countable Athletically-Related Activities hours.
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Senate overcomes first filibuster of Obama's border-spending bill
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world