- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
USC fires baseball coach for NCAA violations
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Southern California has fired baseball coach Frank Cruz for violating NCAA rules regarding limits on practice time and organized team activities.
Trojans athletic director Pat Haden announced Wednesday that Cruz has been dismissed and that the school has self-imposed a reduction in the number of practice hours for the baseball team this season and next.
“Adhering to all NCAA rules is paramount for each one of our coaches, student-athletes and staff members,” Haden said. “Those who knowingly break NCAA rules are subject to termination.”
USC has alerted the NCAA and Pac-12 of the infraction and the university-imposed actions.
Cruz was 48-63 in two seasons with the Trojans.
Associate head coach Dan Hubbs, a former Trojans pitcher in his second season as a coach with USC, has been promoted to head coach.
“I’m confident that Dan Hubbs and his staff will lead our team to a successful season,” Haden said. “Dan is a good coach, he is highly-regarded in the baseball community and he has strong Trojan roots.”
Last Thursday), USC announced it had suspended Cruz from all coaching duties pending an investigation by Vice President for Athletic Compliance Dave Roberts and his staff to determine whether the baseball program exceeded the allowed Countable Athletically-Related Activities hours.
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Redskins bypass big splash - for now - as free agency period begins
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again