- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
USC fires baseball coach for NCAA violations
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Southern California has fired baseball coach Frank Cruz for violating NCAA rules regarding limits on practice time and organized team activities.
Trojans athletic director Pat Haden announced Wednesday that Cruz has been dismissed and that the school has self-imposed a reduction in the number of practice hours for the baseball team this season and next.
“Adhering to all NCAA rules is paramount for each one of our coaches, student-athletes and staff members,” Haden said. “Those who knowingly break NCAA rules are subject to termination.”
USC has alerted the NCAA and Pac-12 of the infraction and the university-imposed actions.
Cruz was 48-63 in two seasons with the Trojans.
Associate head coach Dan Hubbs, a former Trojans pitcher in his second season as a coach with USC, has been promoted to head coach.
“I’m confident that Dan Hubbs and his staff will lead our team to a successful season,” Haden said. “Dan is a good coach, he is highly-regarded in the baseball community and he has strong Trojan roots.”
Last Thursday), USC announced it had suspended Cruz from all coaching duties pending an investigation by Vice President for Athletic Compliance Dave Roberts and his staff to determine whether the baseball program exceeded the allowed Countable Athletically-Related Activities hours.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow