- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Jews for Jesus: Jews or Christians?
Question of the Day
Mark Kellner has written a very sympathetic piece on the subject of Jews for Jesus (“An intimate look at the man behind Jews for Jesus,” Web, Thursday). At the outset, Mr. Kellner asserts that Jews generally have regarded the followers of this group as “traitors.” That is patent nonsense. Jews regard these people as Christians.
Calling oneself a Jew for Jesus does not make such an individual a Jew. The whole exercise is nothing but an attempt to convert Jews to Christianity, which virtually all Jews find repugnant. Jews do not react well to attempts to convert them. The Inquisition is never that far removed from their collective memory. Furthermore, they find it offensive to be told that their religion is inferior to Christianity and that they would be better off if they accepted Jesus.
As Benjamin Disraeli famously said when facing anti-Semitic taunts in the English Parliament, “I would remind the right honorable gentleman that when his ancestors were still painting their faces blue, mine were priests in the temple of Solomon.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages