- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Jews for Jesus: Jews or Christians?
Mark Kellner has written a very sympathetic piece on the subject of Jews for Jesus (“An intimate look at the man behind Jews for Jesus,” Web, Thursday). At the outset, Mr. Kellner asserts that Jews generally have regarded the followers of this group as “traitors.” That is patent nonsense. Jews regard these people as Christians.
Calling oneself a Jew for Jesus does not make such an individual a Jew. The whole exercise is nothing but an attempt to convert Jews to Christianity, which virtually all Jews find repugnant. Jews do not react well to attempts to convert them. The Inquisition is never that far removed from their collective memory. Furthermore, they find it offensive to be told that their religion is inferior to Christianity and that they would be better off if they accepted Jesus.
As Benjamin Disraeli famously said when facing anti-Semitic taunts in the English Parliament, “I would remind the right honorable gentleman that when his ancestors were still painting their faces blue, mine were priests in the temple of Solomon.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
Get Breaking Alerts
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable