- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Report: J&J recalls thousands of hip implants
BERLIN (AP) - A German newspaper reports that Johnson & Johnson is recalling thousands of hip implants 2 1/2 years after a similar recall.
Handelsblatt reports that the Adept implants made by J&J’s subsidiary DePuy Orthopaedics showed a failure rate of 12 percent after seven years. It said some 7,500 of the implants were shipped worldwide between 2004 and 2011.
Johnson & Johnson representatives in Germany and the United States didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.
Germany’s Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices on Thursday confirmed it had received a notice from Johnson & Johnson about the recall.
In August 2010, J&J recalled two types of DePuy ASR metal hip implants after they were linked to high failure rates. J&J has had more than 30 other product recalls since 2009.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.