- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Tales from the 10th at Riviera
LOS ANGELES (AP) - In the morning chill at Riviera, Charles Howell III began his round at the Northern Trust Open with a tee shot that landed in the front bunker on the par-4 10th hole. He was only 30 feet away from the hole. And it took him four shots to finish.
Such is the nature of the best little par 4 on the PGA Tour.
The hole is 315 yards, easily reachable by most of the players. Once a threesome is on the green, they stand to the side to let the next group hit their tee shots to help with the pace of play. Some fans showed up just before sunrise and didn’t leave. For golf purists, it’s one of the most compelling holes on earth.
Here are a few snapshots:
The front bunker looks like a reasonable spot to be until recognizing the shallow green slopes severely to the back, and the edge is shaved to feed into the back bunker. Howell’s mistake was hitting his bunker shot at the flag, which was in the middle of the green. It kept rolling by the flag and into the bunker, and from there he blasted out to about 6 feet and missed the putt. Bogey.
Michael Thompson hit driver well left of the green, which is not the worst place to be. In his case, however, he was so far left of six Bottlebrush trees that he can to hit a flop shot over a trio of towering palms. Unable to control it out of the moderate rough, it sailed too far right and into the bunker.
The good news for Thompson was Howell went first out of the bunker. Upon seeing Howell’s ball go through the green and into the back bunker, Thompson wisely played some 20 feet right of the flag to keep it on the green. He two-putted for his bogey.
Kevin Stadler hit driver left of the green toward the Bottlebrush trees. Just his bad luck, the ball was close to the trunk and his only shot was to invert a short iron and play the shot left-handed. He pulled it off brilliantly _ at least it looked that way. The shot was straight and rolled up onto the green, and then picked up speed past the hole and kept going, and going, until it slowed at the fringe. And then it rolled a little more and stopped near a sprinkler head. And then it rolled a few inches more and tumbled into the bunker. He blasted out to 10 feet and holed the putt for par. “That was fun,” Stadler said as he walked off the green.
Stadler had not hit his bunker shot when he stood to the back of the green and watched Phil Mickelson tee off. Lefty’s tee shot was too strong, left of the green, but it took one hop and hit a marshal, coming to rest about pin-high. “There’s a break,” Stadler said. “Wish he’d been standing by that tree.”
Mickelson pitched to 10 feet, and Stadler was walking down the 11th fairway when he heard the cheer for Mickelson making birdie.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.