- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Sequestration puts nation at risk
When the next war comes, fight it yourself. That message must be delivered to Congress as the Department of Defense is once again at risk of being neutered, thanks to sequestration (“Doing more with less: Dealing with sequestration,” Commentary, Tuesday).
The Founding Fathers never intended our nation to be put at risk as a result of partisan bickering or ego clashes. You cannot govern by closing shop and you cannot keep the nation secure by sending the Department of Defense home on unemployment. This paralysis sends a terrible message to the world. Allies will no longer trust us and enemies will not be deterred by the impotent paper tiger we show ourselves to be.
As we are about to be sequestered, I would tell the “honorable” members of Congress that when the next war erupts, fight it yourselves.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: I do