- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- LAPD admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Bomb, shooting in Egypt kills 2 police officers
- Tenn. woman receives two-year sentence for stealing $364K meant for homeless veterans
- School bus driver gets probation after kicking autistic girl, 8
- Ex-Army Ranger petitions to keep tan beret off certain soldiers’ heads
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Solution to mass killings: Capital punishment
Nothing is more frustrating than the current gun-control debate. I have a deep sense of respect for the Second Amendment, since I come from Cuba, where the first step on the road to tyranny was to disarm all possible opponents in January 1959.
I have an equal sense of gratitude to the Framers of our Constitution for their wisdom in drawing up that seminal document. I do not support exaggerated interpretations of the Constitution, though, like the freedom of religion clause, which is wrongly used to trample upon a fundamental right to pray in public. Similarly, in the gun-control debate, we find extremists who think they are entitled under the Second Amendment to perhaps place anti-aircraft equipment on the roof or even a tank in the back yard. This is absurd. At the same time, a renewal of the temporary ban on assault weapons is clearly a lost cause for the administration.
The cherry on top is the fact that the solution to the increasing number of mass killings is right there in front of us, but since we are slowly losing our sense of justice, we scarcely implement it. Let legislatures across this great country approve mandatory death sentences in all premeditated homicide convictions and abolish the insanity defense in homicide cases. Republicans, Democrats and independents should all come together in a genuine crusade to stop crime for the sake of our children. The death sentence is the only effective deterrent to evil.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
Get Breaking Alerts
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Justice Dept.'s new clemency guidelines: Crack offenders most obvious candidates
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- EDITORIAL: Voting with one's feet shows folly of liberal economic policies