- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Solution to mass killings: Capital punishment
Nothing is more frustrating than the current gun-control debate. I have a deep sense of respect for the Second Amendment, since I come from Cuba, where the first step on the road to tyranny was to disarm all possible opponents in January 1959.
I have an equal sense of gratitude to the Framers of our Constitution for their wisdom in drawing up that seminal document. I do not support exaggerated interpretations of the Constitution, though, like the freedom of religion clause, which is wrongly used to trample upon a fundamental right to pray in public. Similarly, in the gun-control debate, we find extremists who think they are entitled under the Second Amendment to perhaps place anti-aircraft equipment on the roof or even a tank in the back yard. This is absurd. At the same time, a renewal of the temporary ban on assault weapons is clearly a lost cause for the administration.
The cherry on top is the fact that the solution to the increasing number of mass killings is right there in front of us, but since we are slowly losing our sense of justice, we scarcely implement it. Let legislatures across this great country approve mandatory death sentences in all premeditated homicide convictions and abolish the insanity defense in homicide cases. Republicans, Democrats and independents should all come together in a genuine crusade to stop crime for the sake of our children. The death sentence is the only effective deterrent to evil.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
Get Breaking Alerts
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared?
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for feckless president to show resolve
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama reserves 'Chicago way' for GOP
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Public education would wither in free market
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults