- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Solution to mass killings: Capital punishment
Nothing is more frustrating than the current gun-control debate. I have a deep sense of respect for the Second Amendment, since I come from Cuba, where the first step on the road to tyranny was to disarm all possible opponents in January 1959.
I have an equal sense of gratitude to the Framers of our Constitution for their wisdom in drawing up that seminal document. I do not support exaggerated interpretations of the Constitution, though, like the freedom of religion clause, which is wrongly used to trample upon a fundamental right to pray in public. Similarly, in the gun-control debate, we find extremists who think they are entitled under the Second Amendment to perhaps place anti-aircraft equipment on the roof or even a tank in the back yard. This is absurd. At the same time, a renewal of the temporary ban on assault weapons is clearly a lost cause for the administration.
The cherry on top is the fact that the solution to the increasing number of mass killings is right there in front of us, but since we are slowly losing our sense of justice, we scarcely implement it. Let legislatures across this great country approve mandatory death sentences in all premeditated homicide convictions and abolish the insanity defense in homicide cases. Republicans, Democrats and independents should all come together in a genuine crusade to stop crime for the sake of our children. The death sentence is the only effective deterrent to evil.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Study: Children fare better in traditional mom-dad families
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'