- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Solution to mass killings: Capital punishment
Question of the Day
Nothing is more frustrating than the current gun-control debate. I have a deep sense of respect for the Second Amendment, since I come from Cuba, where the first step on the road to tyranny was to disarm all possible opponents in January 1959.
I have an equal sense of gratitude to the Framers of our Constitution for their wisdom in drawing up that seminal document. I do not support exaggerated interpretations of the Constitution, though, like the freedom of religion clause, which is wrongly used to trample upon a fundamental right to pray in public. Similarly, in the gun-control debate, we find extremists who think they are entitled under the Second Amendment to perhaps place anti-aircraft equipment on the roof or even a tank in the back yard. This is absurd. At the same time, a renewal of the temporary ban on assault weapons is clearly a lost cause for the administration.
The cherry on top is the fact that the solution to the increasing number of mass killings is right there in front of us, but since we are slowly losing our sense of justice, we scarcely implement it. Let legislatures across this great country approve mandatory death sentences in all premeditated homicide convictions and abolish the insanity defense in homicide cases. Republicans, Democrats and independents should all come together in a genuine crusade to stop crime for the sake of our children. The death sentence is the only effective deterrent to evil.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'