- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Chicago teen fatally shot hours after sister sat onstage behind Obama
A Chicago teenager was fatally shot Friday night just hours after her younger sister sat onstage behind President Obama as he spoke about gun violence.
Two people are being questioned in the slaying of Janay McFarlane, according to North Chicago police.
Miss McFarlane, 18, was shot once around 11:30 p.m. in an alley after a bullet that was meant for her friend struck her in the head, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.
“I really feel like somebody cut a part of my heart out,” her mother, Angela Blakely, told the Sun-Times.
The young woman’s little sister, Destini, 14, sat just feet away from the president as he spoke at Hyde Park Career Academy on Friday, just hours before her big sister was killed.
“Barack Obama said teenagers are killing each other,” Destini told the Sun-Times on Saturday night. “He was saying we need to cut down on street violence.”
“I’m just really, truly just trying to process it — knowing that I’m not taking my baby home any more,” Ms. Blakely said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 'Noah' screenwriter defends white casting, says race doesn't matter in a 'mythical story'
- Marionville mayor 'kind of agreed' with Kansas City shooter's views
- Rev. Al Sharpton's Easter message: Politically 'crucified' Obama has risen again
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Afghanistan, heads to Africa
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.