- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Shooters undeterred by threat of punishment
I sympathize with Felipe Fernandez’s frustration with the gun control debate (“Solutions to mass killings: Capital punishment,” Letters, Friday), but the sad fact is that the recent mass killings have been perpetrated by people who are mentally unstable, if not outright crazy.
To think, as Mr. Fernandez apparently does, that approving mandatory capital punishment would have deterred such individuals is seriously misguided. To the extent that the gun laws we have on the books do deter crime, it is because those laws come with severe punishments like incarceration and execution. That’s one reason rational people don’t commit gun-related crimes.
Mentally unbalanced people, however, have no such fear. Their thought processes don’t make a connection between the actions they take and the legal consequences — meaning our gun laws have little effect on them. Indeed, many of them end their killing sprees by killing themselves. In that sense, they are willingly sentencing themselves to capital punishment.
BRUCE G. KAUFFMANN
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral