- Atheists’ Easter taunt to Christians: ‘Jesus is a myth’
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes — ‘your paycheck’
- Despite Obamacare problems, some Dems want Sebelius to run for Senate: report
- Angry New Yorkers shred gun registrations in deadline day protests
- Uninsured rate dropping faster in places that embraced pillars of Obamacare, survey shows
- Hawaii, D.C. give residents two more weeks to sign up under Obamacare
- Climate change causing fish to lose their minds, researchers say
- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
- Aaron Hernandez investigated for threatening to kill prison guard
Ex-LSU Heisman winner Billy Cannon hospitalized
ANGOLA, LA. (AP) - Billy Cannon’s family said the former LSU Heisman Trophy winner was hospitalized Tuesday after suffering a stroke.
In an emailed statement, the family said Cannon, 75, “is alert and resting.”
“He did have a stroke and the doctors will conduct tests to see the extent. They will keep him in ICU tonight and watch him overnight,” the statement said. “The family thanks everyone for their prayers and concerns.”
Cannon was transported by ambulance from the state penitentiary at Angola at about 12:30 p.m., said Cathy Fontenot, a spokeswoman for the prison.
Cannon has been director of the prison’s dental program for about 15 years.
He won the 1959 Heisman Trophy after starring at LSU. He went on to a successful pro career in the American Football League with the Houston Oilers and Oakland Raiders, and after football went to dental school.
In 1983, Cannon was arrested on federal counterfeiting charges. He ultimately pleaded guilty, served half of a five-year sentence and came out broke. Though tarnished for a time, Cannon’s reputation has been rebuilt through his work at the penitentiary, where he tries to serve as a positive example for inmates, and through his routine participation in LSU events.
Information from: The Advocate, http://theadvocate.com
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- PHILLIPS: What did Harry Reid know and when did he know it?
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes