- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Fathers missing from gun debate
Question of the Day
In the ongoing debate over the causes of gun violence many contributing factors have been cited, including mental illness, availability of assault weapons and violent imagery in movies and video games. In the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting tragedy, however, I have yet to see leading politicians of either party cite absent fathers as one of the contributors to gun violence.
President Obama also failed to make this link in his State of the Union address last week, yet teens and young adults are more likely than persons of other ages to be murdered with a gun, according to National Institute of Justice statistics. Moreover, this group is affected greatly by absent fathers.
While no quick fixes or congressional action can replace an absent father, one can argue that if more adult male role models participated in youngsters’ lives, the influence of gangs would diminish, as would gun violence.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'