- Jimmy Carter’s grandson makes gains in governor’s race in Georgia
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al Qaeda training camps
- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Fathers missing from gun debate
In the ongoing debate over the causes of gun violence many contributing factors have been cited, including mental illness, availability of assault weapons and violent imagery in movies and video games. In the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting tragedy, however, I have yet to see leading politicians of either party cite absent fathers as one of the contributors to gun violence.
President Obama also failed to make this link in his State of the Union address last week, yet teens and young adults are more likely than persons of other ages to be murdered with a gun, according to National Institute of Justice statistics. Moreover, this group is affected greatly by absent fathers.
While no quick fixes or congressional action can replace an absent father, one can argue that if more adult male role models participated in youngsters’ lives, the influence of gangs would diminish, as would gun violence.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- See the scathing documents detailing $600 billion squandered in Afghanistan