- Florida beach-goers told to beware flesh-eating bacteria in water
- Lundergan Grimes uses ‘war on women’ strategy to attack McConnell
- Rep. Jeff Miller: ‘Ain’t no leash for VA’
- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich cruising to re-election: survey
- Landslide hits Indian village; 150 may be trapped
- Albania bank loses $7M in theft; police arrest 2
- Gov. Mike Pence irked as Obama sends illegals to Indiana on sly
- Israel, White House say Obama phone call to demand cease-fire was fake
- Nancy Pelosi: Deporting kids un-Christian, sends them ‘into a burning building’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Fathers missing from gun debate
Question of the Day
In the ongoing debate over the causes of gun violence many contributing factors have been cited, including mental illness, availability of assault weapons and violent imagery in movies and video games. In the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting tragedy, however, I have yet to see leading politicians of either party cite absent fathers as one of the contributors to gun violence.
President Obama also failed to make this link in his State of the Union address last week, yet teens and young adults are more likely than persons of other ages to be murdered with a gun, according to National Institute of Justice statistics. Moreover, this group is affected greatly by absent fathers.
While no quick fixes or congressional action can replace an absent father, one can argue that if more adult male role models participated in youngsters’ lives, the influence of gangs would diminish, as would gun violence.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Feds sue Pennsylvania State Police over women's fitness tests