- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: ‘Emergency plan’ launched
- Colorado judge strikes voter-backed gay marriage ban, but issues stay
- Brooklyn Bridge flag-swapping suspects identified by nickname
- Christian woman in Sudan spared for apostasy flies to Italy
- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: GOP won’t win by shunning its own
Question of the Day
In his column “Coming in 2016 — a third way for the GOP,” Joseph Curl makes it very clear that many in the Republican Party don’t have a clue about how to win the next election. Unfortunately, he seems to be committed to a losing philosophy himself.
He focuses on the pro-life “blunders” of W. Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock in the last election and conveniently doesn’t notice that some pretty significant GOP “moderates” such as Tommy Thompson in Wisconsin also didn’t win — and that some pretty strong conservatives such as Ted Cruz did win.
In fact, Mr. Curl concludes that the GOP has to jettison its pro-life supporters and pro-family supporters since “a new wave of Republicans is coming, a wave that looks past the pro-life, traditional-marriage planks of the Grand Old Party.” Remarkably, he considers ignoring and even silencing some of the GOP’s most consistent supporters as the way to establish the famous “big tent.”
The GOP can’t really expect to win elections by ignoring some of its most loyal supporters. The real “big tent” can be established only by positively presenting and defending conservative beliefs (e.g., being proactive about all the great things that we do believe in). It certainly can’t be established by insulting infighting.
MARGARET M. WHITEHEAD
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Hezbollah in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- FIELDS: A tale of a boy, a Bible and a gun
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists