- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: GOP won’t win by shunning its own
In his column “Coming in 2016 — a third way for the GOP,” Joseph Curl makes it very clear that many in the Republican Party don’t have a clue about how to win the next election. Unfortunately, he seems to be committed to a losing philosophy himself.
He focuses on the pro-life “blunders” of W. Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock in the last election and conveniently doesn’t notice that some pretty significant GOP “moderates” such as Tommy Thompson in Wisconsin also didn’t win — and that some pretty strong conservatives such as Ted Cruz did win.
In fact, Mr. Curl concludes that the GOP has to jettison its pro-life supporters and pro-family supporters since “a new wave of Republicans is coming, a wave that looks past the pro-life, traditional-marriage planks of the Grand Old Party.” Remarkably, he considers ignoring and even silencing some of the GOP’s most consistent supporters as the way to establish the famous “big tent.”
The GOP can’t really expect to win elections by ignoring some of its most loyal supporters. The real “big tent” can be established only by positively presenting and defending conservative beliefs (e.g., being proactive about all the great things that we do believe in). It certainly can’t be established by insulting infighting.
MARGARET M. WHITEHEAD
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert
- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel warns Pakistani leaders of U.S. aid losses over drone-strike protests
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Troops forced to rely on welfare, holiday charity
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter