- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: GOP won’t win by shunning its own
Question of the Day
In his column “Coming in 2016 — a third way for the GOP,” Joseph Curl makes it very clear that many in the Republican Party don’t have a clue about how to win the next election. Unfortunately, he seems to be committed to a losing philosophy himself.
He focuses on the pro-life “blunders” of W. Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock in the last election and conveniently doesn’t notice that some pretty significant GOP “moderates” such as Tommy Thompson in Wisconsin also didn’t win — and that some pretty strong conservatives such as Ted Cruz did win.
In fact, Mr. Curl concludes that the GOP has to jettison its pro-life supporters and pro-family supporters since “a new wave of Republicans is coming, a wave that looks past the pro-life, traditional-marriage planks of the Grand Old Party.” Remarkably, he considers ignoring and even silencing some of the GOP’s most consistent supporters as the way to establish the famous “big tent.”
The GOP can’t really expect to win elections by ignoring some of its most loyal supporters. The real “big tent” can be established only by positively presenting and defending conservative beliefs (e.g., being proactive about all the great things that we do believe in). It certainly can’t be established by insulting infighting.
MARGARET M. WHITEHEAD
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- New York Times reporter Carol Vogel accused of plagiarism
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line