- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Call illegals what they are
On the “MacNeil/Lehrer Report” on PBS in 1977, President Jimmy Carter unveiled a plan in support of his open-borders policy. To defuse the situation, he urged change from use of the term “illegal alien” to “undocumented worker.” Illegal aliens have many documents, all false, such as Social Security cards, driver’s licenses, rent receipts and such. Possession of such documents is a felony. If these people are all workers, why are prisons packed with them?
Now that immigration reform is on the front burner again, it is easy to discern liberals from conservatives. Liberals call these people what they are not: “undocumented workers”; conservatives call them what they are: “illegal aliens.”
Sen. Marco Rubio, Florida Republican, is pushing for his own immigration-reform plan (“GOP’s Rubio tells Obama to end obsession with taxes, while tea partyer Paul attacks spending,” Web, Feb. 12). Mr. Rubio is definitively a Reagan conservative, but I can’t imagine why he continues to use “undocumented workers” rather than “illegal aliens.”
Recently, a longtime liberal and member of the Congressional Black Caucus, Rep. John Conyers Jr., Michigan Democrat, said, “I hope no one uses the term illegal immigrants here today” during an immigration hearing. Jimmy Carter would have loved this bozo.
God bless Fox News and The Washington Times for sticking to their guns on this issue.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
Get Breaking Alerts
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Adam Lanza's dad: He would've killed me 'in a heartbeat'
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for feckless president to show resolve
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama reserves 'Chicago way' for GOP
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Public education would wither in free market
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults