- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
Car bomb explosion rocks Damascus; Syria’s Baath Party headquarters targeted
A car bomb exploded near the Russian Embassy and the headquarters of President Bashar Assad’s ruling Baath party in central Damascus on Thursday.
Television footage of the scene showed at least four bodies in the street, presumed dead, according to a report from The Associated Press.
Syria’s state-owned television was calling the explosion a “terrorist” attack in an area that has been normally sheltered from much of Syria’s large-scale and random violence, AP reports. Most of the attacks there have been targeted toward specific government buildings — with the exception of the last two days, where one mortar attack struck near a soccer stadium, according to AP.
Eyewitness said the car exploded at a checkpoint, and children are among the injured, AP said.
“It was huge. Everything in the shop turned upside down,” one local resident said, according to the AP report.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He's a 'scumbag'
- Google floats new contact lens to help blind cross street
- Bill Clinton falls off vegan diet wagon — but not vegan label
- Army treads toward taking some Marine attack helicopter duties
- N.H. Democrat calls for end to anti-adultery law
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Donald Rumsfeld has 'no idea' if he paid taxes correctly
- Wal-Mart forced to apologize for 'mistake' favoring English-speaking shoppers
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes