A Western diplomat says world powers are prepared to make Iran a “substantial and serious offer” to move along agreements about its nuclear development program.
The unnamed diplomat declined to specify what that offer might entail, according to a Newsmax report.
“We will take an offer with us which we believe to be a substantial and serious offer,” he said, speaking of next week’s talks among U.N. Security Council members and Iranian officials in Kazakhstan, according to Newsmax. “This is an offer which we think has significant new elements in it.”
Iran has been facing economic sanctions from the West because of its failure to halt certain aspects of its uranium enrichment program seen as steps toward nuclear-weapons development. Iran repeatedly has denied its program is aimed at anything other than developing energy for the civilian sector.
The talks are set for Feb. 26.
Not all diplomats are so hopeful Iran will accept any offer.
“We’ve always offered quite a bit,” but Iran has failed to return with adequate concessions, another unnamed diplomat said in the Newsmax report.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
By Elaine Donnelly
Extending sexual misconduct to combat units
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
An establishmentarian conservative, short on cash, but long on wisdom.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention