- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
CDC chief: Spending cuts threaten public health
Question of the Day
WASHINGTON (AP) - The nation’s top disease detective says impending budget cuts will make it harder to solve outbreaks, fight hospital infections and keep illnesses overseas from making their way here.
Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, says his agency will lose more than $300 million at a time when public health already is struggling to keep up with new germs.
In Frieden’s words, “Our threats aren’t getting cut but our ability to respond to them is.”
One example: Frieden says the cuts could constrain his agency’s investigation of a worrisome tuberculosis outbreak in Los Angeles. Another example: CDC would have to cut funding for state and local health departments, impairing their ability to spot early warning signs of outbreaks.
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- 9-year-old girl dies from brain-eating amoeba
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- Germany wins World Cup title on Mario Goetze goal in extra time
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Economists see signs of another market bubble
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs