- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
British cardinal contests claims of ‘inappropriate’ acts
LONDON (AP) — The Vatican is looking into allegations of “inappropriate behavior” by Cardinal Keith Patrick O'Brien, Britain’s most senior Catholic cleric, officials said Sunday. The claims came at a sensitive time, as Cardinal O’Brien and other cardinals prepare for a conclave to choose the next pope.
Cardinal O’Brien, who heads the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland, was taking advice from lawyers after the British newspaper The Observer reported that three priests and a former priest have filed complaints to the Vatican alleging that the cardinal approached them in an inappropriate manner.
The paper did not cite the names of the priests, but it said their allegations date back to the 1980s.
A Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said the complaints had been channeled through the office of the papal nuncio — the Vatican’s ambassador — in London. “The pope has been informed, and the question is in his hands,” Father Lombardi said.
In the coming weeks, Cardinal O’Brien, 74, is expected to join a conclave of cardinals at the Vatican to elect the next pontiff, following the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI. Benedict announced earlier this month that he will step down on Thursday — the first pope to resign in some 600 years.
Cardinal O’Brien, who is archbishop of St. Andrews and Edinburgh, has not been the only cardinal to become embroiled in negative news as the papal election approaches. Across the Atlantic, thousands of people have signed a petition to keep Cardinal Roger Mahony, the former archbishop of Los Angeles, from the conclave because of revelations he had shielded sexually abusive priests.
Cardinal Mahony has made it clear that he will attend the gathering and that no one can force him to recuse himself.
In comments on the papacy made to the BBC on Friday, Cardinal O’Brien said the next pope would be free to consider changing church policy on issues that were not “basic dogmatic beliefs.” He said he believed that the requirement for priestly celibacy is not “of divine origin” and could be reconsidered.
Cardinal O'Brien also said it was time to think seriously about having a pope from outside Europe. He said he would be “open to a pope from anywhere if I thought it was the right man, whether it was Europe or Asia or Africa or wherever.”
The cardinal is due to retire when he turns 75 in March.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again