- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Maine city makes deal with bothersome whistler
The city of Portland, Maine, has reached a deal with a man it charged with disorderly conduct for whistling too loud.
Robert Smith aka “The Whistler” has been summonsed, arrested and taken to court for wandering the streets of downtown while whistling loudly.
Now, the city has ordered Mr. Smith to continuously walk while he whistles and has prohibited him from staying in one place.
Mr. Smith told the Portland Press Herald his whistling — audible a block away — is protected free speech, but some residents aren’t buying it.
“It just got to the point last summer where the complaints just mounted,” said prosecutor Trish McAllister. “He’s so loud.”
Mr. Smith’s goal, he says, is to spread joy. He’s said that, aside from the legal troubles, people are normally pleased to hear his tunes.
“I’m not out here to be the best whistler in the world,” he told the Herald. “I’m just trying to make people smile.”
“The Whistler” is a cult figure in Portland, appearing in blogs, videos and local media.
A city ordinance specifically mentions whistling as a disorderly behavior — along with hooting and other unnecessary noises — which carries fines ranging from $100 to $500.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Discovery Channel cancels Mt. Everest jump after avalanche kills 13
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Malaysia Airlines flight makes emergency landing in Kuala Lumpur
- 7-year-old twin boys fight off carjacker with toy snake
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.