- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Mistrial declared in P.G. double-murder case
A Prince George’s County Circuit Court judge declared a mistrial Monday in the double murder trial of Jason Thomas Scott, who is accused of killing a Largo woman and her daughter.
Judge Michael P. Whalen ruled a mistrial after a detective testifying about the case mentioned Scott’s involvement in multiple home invasions. The judge had previously ruled that only testimony about one home invasion — in which two men broke into a home and stole the gun of the police officer who lived there — was admissible in the case, said John Erzen, spokesman for county prosecutors.
Mention of the home invasion was believed to be a “slip of the tongue” and will not compromise prosecutors’ case, according to State’s Attorney Angela D. Alsobrooks.
Scott, 29, is charged with first-degree murder in the March 2009 deaths of Delores Dewitt, 42, and her 20-year-old daughter, Ebony, who were found dead inside a burning car not far from their Largo home. Last year, he was sentenced to 100 years in federal prison after he was convicted of 11 felony charges committed during a spree of more than 50 burglaries and nine armed home-invasion robberies.
Scott’s trial got off to a rocky start after prosecutors first witness, the daughter and sister of the two victims, attempted to commit suicide the night before the trial began Feb. 18 and was unable to testify.
A retrial was rescheduled for Oct. 21 with jury selection beginning Oct. 15.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Andrea Noble is a crime and public safety reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- D.C. Council sues Mayor Gray, CFO over budget autonomy law
- D.C. Council sues Mayor Gray over budget autonomy law
- Guilty verdict in execution-style killings of 2 women, 2 children in Lanham
- Minority parties see power grab for D.C. vote
- Two bodies found under bridge near Southeast D.C. highway
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014