KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan has found no evidence so far to support Afghan allegations of misconduct by American special forces in a strategic eastern province, the alliance’s spokesman said on Monday.
German Gen. Gunter Katz said the International Security Assistance Force will work with the government to find a solution to the concerns of Afghans, but he could not yet comment on the allegations that Afghans connected with U.S. special forces were involved in abuses that include torture, killings and illegal detentions.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Sunday ordered all U.S. special forces to leave Wardak province within two weeks and requested that their operations there cease immediately. The restive province, which neighbors Kabul province and is viewed as a gateway to the capital, has been the focus of counterinsurgency efforts in recent years.
The decision followed a meeting of Mr. Karzai’s National Security Council during which Wardak provincial Gov. Abdul Majid Khogyani and local officials said that Afghans working with U.S. special forces were responsible for the disappearance of at least nine men and the murder of an Afghan university student. Mr. Khogyani and the other officials also presented allegations that the Afghans working for the American special forces were involved in abusive behavior.
The armed Afghans are not part of the Afghan security forces, the government has said, implying that they are members of secret militias working with the American special forces.
“Those Afghans in these armed groups who are working with the U.S. special forces, the defense minister asked for an explanation of who they are,” presidential spokesman Aimal Faizi said late Sunday. “Those individuals should be handed over to the Afghan side so that we can further investigate.”
Although a presidential statement suggested that U.S. forces could also be involved, the Afghan government said it mostly wanted to know about the armed Afghans, who have been blamed by local residents for the abuses.
“We take all allegations of misconduct seriously and go to great lengths to determine the facts surrounding them,” Gen. Katz told reporters. “Over the past few weeks there have been various allegations of Special Forces conducting themselves in an unprofessional manner” in Wardak.
He added that “so far, we could not find evidence that would support these allegations.”
“Until we have had a chance to speak to senior officials in the government of Afghanistan about this issue, I am not in a position to comment further on details regarding what has been said at the National Security Council,” Gen. Katz said. “We will talk to Afghan officials in due course.”
Sunday’s order seems to have surprised both NATO and U.S. Forces Afghanistan, which is a separate command.
'Your papers, please' must never be heard in America
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
Join the Communities and submit your column in response to one written, or on something totally new and unique. We want to hear from you
Entering the world of first time parents, there are lots of secrets unveiled.
Take a look at our pet friendly reviews and travel tips or find the best vacation deals and activities compiled by the The Washington Times Communities experts.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall