- San Antonio mayor to Obama: Give amnesty to illegals with legal families
- NYPD disbands unit that spied on Muslims to go after ‘real bad guys’
- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
SHOW BITS: A tribute to the losers
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Show Bits brings you the 85th annual Academy Awards in Los Angeles through the eyes of Associated Press journalists. Follow them on Twitter where available with the handles listed after each item.
QUICKQUOTE: SETH MACFARLANE
“Now I can drink with abandon.” _ Seth MacFarlane after the final curtain on this year’s Academy Awards show. He had nipped from a minibar-sized bottle of whiskey during the show.
_ Sandy Cohen _ http://www.twitter.com/apsandy
In recent years, everyone would head for the door as soon as the best picture winner _ the last Oscar category in the show _ was announced, leaving the winner with an empty room to thank.
This year, organizers hoped to get attendees to stick around until the end of the show for a closing performance from Seth MacFarlane and Kristin Chenoweth, which was dedicated to all the evening’s Oscar losers.
“Ladies and gentleman, we ask that you remain in your seats after the last award for a very special closing number,” a female announcer calmly announced during the show’s final commercial break.
Well, one pair of “losers” weren’t interested. “The Master” stars Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman bolted for the door at the beginning of the song.
_ Derrik J. Lang _ Twitter http://twitter.com/derrikjlang
THANKING THE `MOVIE GOD’
Ang Lee had his priorities in order when he gave one of his first thank you’s to the “movie god.”
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Bill Clinton falls off vegan diet wagon but not vegan label
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes