- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
SHOW BITS: Oscar is a trip for Jennifer Lawrence
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Show Bits brings you the 85th annual Academy Awards in Los Angeles through the eyes of Associated Press journalists. Follow them on Twitter where available with the handles listed after each item.
OSCAR IS TRIP FOR LAWRENCE
Lawrence stumbled as she took the steps to the Oscar stage, falling to her knees in her flowing Dior gown. That drew a sympathetic ovation from the auditorium.
She remained endearingly flustered during her acceptance speech, thanking her family, those who worked with her on the film and wishing a “Happy Birthday” to a fellow nominee, Emmanuelle Riva of “Amour,” who turned 86.
“Look at this dress. I tried to walk up stairs in this dress,” Lawrence said of her white, floor-length gown. “I think I stepped on the fabric and they wax the stairs.”
Lawrence said she thought of a “bad word” to say when she tumbled but kept it to herself.
She had already been bleeped by ABC when she let loose with a four-letter word while joking with Kristin Chenoweth on the red carpet.
Asked how she got ready for the day, Lawrence said it was “chaotic” from the start, with her family taking over the house to prepare for the big evening.
After fumbling for a more descriptive answer, she apologized: “I’m sorry. I did a shot.”
_ Lynn Elber _ Twitter http://twitter.com/lynnelber
QUICKQUOTE: BEN AFFLECK
“I want to thank you for working on our marriage for 10 Christmases. It’s good, it is work, but it’s the best kind of work. There’s no one I’d rather work with.” _ Ben Affleck, thanking his wife, Jennifer Garner, as he accepted the best picture Oscar for “Argo.”
TWT Video Picks
Nevadans want to know whose hand at BLM is grabbing their land
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.