- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Tea Party Patriots call key GOP firing a declaration of war
- 68,000 more file for unemployment — in one week
- Michigan bans in-state insurers from covering abortion
- Nancy Pelosi tells Democrats to pass budget: ‘Embrace the suck’
- Key Obamacare official: Last two months much harder than anyone hoped
- Sen. Mike Lee: We must stop ‘the prez’ from acting like the queen
Obama warning of defense cuts as sequester stalemate deepens
Question of the Day
Employing campaign-style tactics to raise the pressure on Republican lawmakers, President Obama is visiting a shipyard in Newport News, Va., on Tuesday to call attention to the impact of looming budget cuts.
Mr. Obama is visiting Newport News Shipbuilding, a division of Huntington Ingalls Industrries, to talk about the impact of the so-called sequester cuts on the defense industry. The White House says about 90,000 civilian Pentagon employees would be furloughed in Virginia alone if the cuts start to take effect on Friday.
Republicans are accusing the president of paying too much attention to public-relations events instead of negotiating with them on ways to avert the latest fiscal crisis. The GOP is resisting Mr. Obama’s calls to raise more tax revenue as part of a deal.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Inside the Ring: China targets Global Hawk drone
- Fake interpreter at Mandela service: 'Sorry,' I have schizophrenia
- Selfie at heart of Obama fiasco to stay secret
- Creator of 'Selfies at Funerals' blog retires after Obama flub: 'Our work here is done'
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Film Reviews and Articles by Kevin Williams
The world impacts us. What happens in our towns, cities, states, country and on this planet makes a difference to us.
Classical music and the performing arts: news and reviews you can use.
Headlines from Associated Press and around the Internet
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow