- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
- New evidence could threaten Army sex assault case
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- GOP lawmaker faces fire for NBA crime tweet
- Taliban vow to ‘use all force’ to disrupt Afghan elections
- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
What did Stewart tell Danica before Daytona 500?
He almost got punched for it, too.
Patrick was unsure who in the thick crowd of people surrounding her car had put their hands on her: “He grabbed me first and I was about ready to unleash on someone,” she said.
Once she realized it was Stewart, her Stewart-Haas Racing teammate and car co-owner, she let him get close enough for what appeared to be a whisper in her ear. The moment was caught on live television, leading fans to wonder what Stewart had to say.
“He just said, `Block all this out. You go do it. It’s your time now. Focus. You’ll do a great job,’” Patrick recalled.
Patrick went on to become the first woman in NASCAR history to lead laps in the Daytona 500, and became the 13th driver to lead laps in both the Indianapolis 500 and NASCAR’s biggest race. She finished eighth in the race after starting from the pole, running in the top 10 most of the race and positioning herself at the front in the closing laps. She was third until the final frantic last-lap sprint to the finish.
She said after she appreciated Stewart’s words of wisdom.
“What he said was simple, but calming, and it probably was what also drove me to just, as soon as the anthem was over with, to get in the car,” Patrick said.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Arrest made in Ohio bar shooting that killed 3
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Charges filed against accused 'shadow campaign' financier
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again