- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bill disincentivizes hybrid purchase
Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell’s road-funding bill is a tough pill to swallow (“Virginia negotiators reach transportation deal,” Web, Feb. 20). But it’s also a bitter pill for Virginia’s hybrid-vehicle owners.
Some owners of hybrids may suspect that the annual $100 fee is partly an attempt to appease the majority at the expense of a minority. At the least, it’s an ill-conceived idea that defies common sense. There are a couple of reasons why this tax is unfair. First, many hybrid vehicles average less than 30 mpg, and many gas vehicles average more than 30 mpg. Is it fair to tax hybrid-vehicle owners, who pay higher gas taxes, more than many gas-vehicle owners? A fairer, but still unfair option, would have been to tax owners of all vehicles that have mileage ratings above a specified limit.
Second, a hybrid vehicle costs more than its gas-powered equivalent. Car buyers who pay the higher price expect to recoup their investment over the life of the vehicle with lower fuel expenses. Annual fuel savings for most hybrids range between $100 and $200. This tax will reduce or eliminate the biggest incentive to purchase a hybrid vehicle. Therefore, fewer hybrids will be sold and efforts to achieve oil independence will be undermined. I urge area hybrid-vehicle owners to write Gov. McDonnell and ask him to repeal this unfair tax.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- MILLER: Obamas EPA closing smelter will not affect ammunition supply
- NYC alarms with notice: Immediately surrender your rifle
- Pentagon may give recruits 'a shot to start over' after shameful social media posts
- Allen West warns Obamas backdoor gun control is moving forward
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Puerto Rico caravan honoring Paul Walker ends in 6 drunken-driving arrests, 72 speeding tickets