- Elton John blasts Russia’s anti-gay laws during Moscow concert
- U.N.: Afghanistan slow to enforce law protecting women
- Heart cancels SeaWorld concert after ‘Blackfish’ documentary
- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower American flag for Nelson Mandela
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson Mandela
- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle removed from North Korean state documentary
- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
Mining tycoon’s Titanic dream
Replica ocean liner will have all of original’s style — with more lifeboats
Still, the new Titanic has fired imaginations around the world.
“I think what this really speaks to, is the fact that the Titanic still inspires. … Even though the ship left, in sinking, we haven’t been able to leave it,” said James Delgado, a maritime historian at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Nowhere will the resurrection of the Titanic be watched more closely than Ireland, where the original ship was born in the Belfast shipyard.
“Titanic was built in Belfast, fitted out in Belfast, and began its journey from Belfast to Southampton in 1912. As the authentic home of Titanic, it would be natural to expect Titanic II to dock in Belfast,” said Alex McGreevy, spokesman for the Titanic Belfast Limited, a Titanic-themed museum and one of the city’s popular attractions.
“We will be watching with interest the decision by Mr. Palmer to recreate a modern version of the finest ship of its time.”
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- FENNO: Mike Shanahan's empty words no salve to free-falling Redskins
- Sen. Rand Paul: Supreme Court needs to re-examine Fourth Amendment
- Ezekiel Emanuel: If you want to pay more for your doctor, you can under Obamacare
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
Film Reviews and Articles by Kevin Williams
"Critical thinking is thinking about your thinking while you're thinking in order to make your thinking better." - Dr. Richard Paul
Go beyond tourism's "top 10" bus tour destinations with Susan McKee as she explores the varied history, culture, food, and gardens, of the world.
Let it snow
White House pets gone wild!