- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
TOLOCZKO: U.S. moving backward on missile capability
National security under attack
View Entire Story
One little unfriendly missile, conventional or nuclear, is all it would take to rain death, panic and economic devastation upon the United States.
Likely emboldened by looming sequestration incepted by the Obama White House and now hung around the neck of Republicans as if it were a petard of their own making, America’s enemies are moving forward with improved offensive missile capabilities and the ability to attack our homeland.
North Korea recently completed several successful tests demonstrating rapid advances that threaten their neighbors – and us. These include a satellite missile launch, testing an intercontinental missile booster engine and triumphantly igniting an underground nuke.
Iran enjoys robust missile technology trade with North Korea and the largest ballistic missile arsenal in the Middle East. Yemeni officials recently intercepted an Iranian ship containing Russian anti-aircraft missiles intended for radical Islamists headquartered in Yemen. Hamas and Hezbollah have no qualms about using rockets and missiles against our ally Israel (13,000 since 2001), and Syria uses them against its own people.
Russia is lobbying the Obama administration – with some success – to limit our defensive missile capabilities and conflate “offensive” and “defensive” weapons in global initiatives such as the START treaty. China’s missile arsenal is growing faster than the Pentagon can count.
Our enemies’ missile capacity is expanding rapidly. They are going forward; we are going backward.
Against bolder threats, the White House is diminishing defensive resources through outright cuts and now, sequestration. Our best defense against missile attacks from state or non-state lunatics is some combination of Ground Based Interceptors (GBIs) in Alaska and California and the ship-based Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) program, which creates a protective web of land and sea missile interceptors.
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Eric Cantor rejects latest Obama immigration outreach
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers